Saturday, February 4, 2012

Post partum depression

Today I just feel like I need to say a little something about the seriousness of PPD. Some people do not understand it. They feel like you should be able to control everything about your emotions all the time. I honestly do not remember if I had it after Jordan or not. I also had multiple other things going on that were hard to deal with, so I can't pick out a cause. However, after Liam I had PPD. It was not that I was sad-depressed. In fact, I wasn't sad at all. I felt like I could not handle anything. The smallest thing would stress me out until I felt like I could blow if the kids sneezed on me wrong. I hated feeling that way, but could not do anything to change it. Thankfully for myself and my family, I got some help and am over that now. My emotions about this are completely on the surface today. I had a friend who could not handle things anymore yesterday and she took her life, leaving her two and a half month old daughter without her mommy or daddy. You see, she was having some pretty bad PPD after her daughter was born. Thankfully, from what I understand, she was being treated. However, just three weeks after their daughter was born, her husband died (young) of a massive heart attack. I know that once before, so tried to take her life, and was sent for treatment. I guess they couldn't help her enough. My heart breaks for her and her family. I cannot imagine how hard the last couple months must have been for her if this is all she felt she could do. The girl I knew her as, would not have given up this easily. Please, understand the seriousness of depression. It can completely change who you are until you do not recognize yourself, and turn to desperate measures. I am sorry if this post bums you out, but I feel I had to put this out there today. Maybe I can make a little more sense of this now. I hope.....

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry about your friend, that is really sad! I think its good to talk about, some people are afraid to ask for help and its nothing to be embarrassed of.

    ReplyDelete