Monday, March 17, 2008

Changes on the home front

So there have been some changes around our house lately. First off, I chopped my hair. I cut off about 4-5 inches. I love it now! It's so easy to do in the mornings now! All I have to do is blow dry it and it's ready for me to walk out the door. A couple days before I cut it Ty kept telling me to cut my hair. I thought he liked my hair longer so I'd leave it down and he could play with it, but I was wrong. It had gotten to that horrible mid-length level where you don't want to do it cuz you don't like the cut, but it's almost long enough that you don't want to cut it again. Anyway, he told me he wanted my hair short and "poofy." So I chopped it. Not the hair cut he wanted, but short and "poofy" none-the-less. I like it, and that's what really matters.

So the other big change around our house is diapers... or panties... depending on how you put it. We are finally really potty training Joey. We decided it was time because she started getting upset over poopie diapers. So we (by we I mean, Ty and I, my mom, and our babysitter) kinda started working with her earlier this week, but toward the end of the week she finally started getting it. Today she only had two accidents, and that's pretty good for a kid just starting with it. Most people bribe their kids when potty training. We decided that was the best route to go as well. We tried candy, and that wasn't motivation. We tried little toys, that wasn't motivation either. Finally I figured out what would motivate this kid to go potty. Money. Yup, money. We offered her a quarter every time she went potty. So the first time we gave her the quarter after she went and was so excited. The next time I put her on the potty I remind her that if she goes potty that she gets another quarter. She looks at me, sticks her hand out, and says "Money first!" I about died laughing! So anyway, we figured if we kept giving her quarters every time she goes potty, we'd end up poor, so we made a compromise with her... she goes potty on the potty and we give her a quarter. For every time she messes her pants, she has she loses a quarter. That definately made her want to not mess her pants. Now we mostly have it down, so we don't have to keep giving her quarters. Yesterday in church she wouldn't go on the potty (it's big and scary), but she wouldn't go in the diaper we took her in. She held it for almost 4 hours until we got home and she could go at home. We are excited to not have diapers anymore!

The final change is Ty's truck. I mean The Beast (look down the page and you'll see a picture of it). He has finally finished replacing the brake pads and getting the drums turned. Now he just needs to change the gaskets on the engine and make sure he has done what needs to be done for the brake and light inspection and then he can finally get a license plate for the truck and drive it! This is exciting because we've had this truck for over a year and it has spent the time either on the side of the driveway or in my garage. So I am excited to have it out of the garage so I can get to the washer and dryer easier. But I am also excited to have the truck done and trustworthy so I can start driving it. I've always wanted a big truck like this, so it'll be exciting for me too.

2 comments:

  1. The quarter thing is hilarious! Congrats on losing the diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! How are you guys? It has been fun reading the update on your family. Congrats on the potty training. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete