Saturday, October 11, 2008

Almost lost it... twice

The house, that is. My sanity, well I lost it a while ago, and I never found it again. But I promised the story of almost losing it twice. The first one was a week before we were due to close. I got an email from the seller. She was talking to the escrow officer, and he suddenly sprung the news that she was going to have to pay this 3.3% tax to the state when the house closed (it's some stupid law that Gov. Davis made to help the state finances). The big problem with it was that she didn't have the money. If she couldn't come up with the money, she was going to have to pull out of the sale. It really upset us all because she asked the escrow officer straight up "What will my total be with all the fees, taxes... everything, when it's all said and done." So she went scrambling to get this money together so that we could still get the house. We don't know what would have happened because we had already turned in our 30 day notice at our old place. Under normal circumstances I'm sure my parents would have let us stay with them until we figured something out, but with my dad in chemo, he can't be around kids unless he constantly wears a hepa mask, and we didn't want to do that to him. But thankfully by that night everything worked out.
The second time we almost lost it was even worse. It was the day they were to record it with the county. Our funding and everything went through, but somehow during the night between the funding going through and the next day when they were going to record it, the title company lost our loan. As in they had no clue where the money was. How do you lose a house loan?????? Anybody know? The seller found out and was pretty ticked because it had to be recorded by that night! Thankfully the title company found the loan shortly before the deadline and was able to record it. I am also thankful that I didn't find out about this one until the next day when I ran into the seller around town.
But everything went through, and it's ours now!

1 comment: