Thursday, March 31, 2011

First Field Trip

Jordan had her first field trip yesterday for school. We've known about it for weeks (remember, last week was spring break, so they knew about it since before that). She would tell anyone who listened how she was going to go on a field trip. The night before however, she learned she would be taking the bus there, and that gave her some reservations about it because she had never been on the bus before. Thankfully, he field trip was on a Wednesday, and those days, I usually help in Joey's class room and my sister takes Liam. She agreed to take him a little early and keep him a little late so I could go with her. I got to ride the bus with Joey. Man, that brought back memories. Anyway, they went to the Sheriff's station and to the Fire Station, then to the park for lunch. The sheriff who showed us around was soooo boring. I felt bad for the kids because he didn't speak to them in a way they would understand. How would they know what booking is? Or processing? I don't know, he just used all these technical terms. But he did let them sit in a couple different cells, which most of the enjoyed (however, there were a few who were terrified they would be locked in). He also took the kids outside and let them sit in his patrol car, then turned on the sirens for everyone to hear. Joey and her best friend on the bus waiting to go. Waiting in line. They played Duck Duck Goose while waiting for the Sheriff to show up. In the padded cell they call "Detox." In the booking cell. In the front of the sheriff's car. All 29 kids, plus the teacher and the sheriff. On their shirts, the kids painted their faces, and have other pictures painted for other significant things they've done throughout the year.

At the fire station, the kids did a small walkthrough. I say small because the fire house is small. It consists of three rooms plus a bathroom. It has an office, a great room, and sleeping quarters. That's it. I was kinda surprised how small it was. Then the kids watched a movie on Fire Saftey. My personal opinion of the movie is that they desperately need to update it. It was made in the 80's and looks it. Then the kids got to go out and spray the fire hose. Jordan and another little girl didn't want to do that, so we stayed in the shade while everyone else did. Then they took the class picture in front of fire truck, and as we were about to leave, they turned the sirens on for everyone.

All in all it was a good field trip. Everyone was exhausted at the end though. They take their next field trip in a couple weeks, and I won't be able to make that one. Maybe the one in May though....

No comments:

Post a Comment