Monday, July 16, 2012

House work

Over the past two months, our house has undergone a lot of changes. We have rearranged our house so we no longer have a living and a family room, but now just have a living room with the toys hidden. What was the family room is now a larger dining room so we don't feel cramped anymore. We had our table crammed into our kitchen area to make it an eat in kitchen, but it was feeling too cramped. All the nasty popcorn stuff is scraped off the ceiling in those rooms as well as down the hall. All the old seriously disgusting carpet and linoleum has been taken up and tiled. We had two doors replaced and we painted. I think that is about it. And it is a lot. We borrowed our friends truck to go to Lancaster (about 90 miles away) to pick up the tile from Lowe's. We got around 700 sq ft of tile. We had two guys from the store load it into the truck, again, since Ty was recovering from surgery, he couldn't unload the truck. So, it took me several hours, but I unloaded all 300+ boxes of tile.
Once that part was done, we finally ripped the carpet up. When we did that, we found out that the floor was cracked down the middle and severely not level. I mean, it was almost an inch and a half off level in one spot. So first, Rick (the guy who was doing all this work) broke up the cement around the large crack and recemented it so the crack isn't there anymore. Then we had to get several bags of Level Quik to level half of our living room. It took several more days than was planned, but it turned out nice. Here is a picture of the tile just after it was mostly laid, but not grouted.
AFter that we moved onto what is now the dining room and thankfully found no major cracks, and a few unlevel spots that could be leveled with the thin set. I don't have those pictures downloaded yet but will put them on when I have them.

Al in all, I love it. Our ceiling looks SSSSOOOOOOO much better! Our house is cooler. The nasty, stained, gross, germ infested carpet is gone. In it's place it nice tile that is easy to clean. We haven't yet had any major injuries from the tile to the kids, and hopefully we can get a nice area rug in the living room to prevent that. The funny thing is that I posted some pictures as we were going along on Facebook and the next Sunday at church, I had about 5 people come up to ask me if we were moving. Nope, we just want our house nicer. And it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment