Sunday, July 13, 2008

The best mornings...

I have to tell you guys, the best mornings in the world are, in my opinion, the ones after a night of rain. Last night we had a BBQ at the C's house. There were a whole bunch of us there and we were having a blast. Around the time we finished dinner, it started raining. It was a welcome sight for all! It had been so muggy and hot that day. I was wondering if we would be getting a storm because it looked like one was on it's way. I could smell the storm about an hour before it hit. That is the one thing I missed more than anything when I first left Ridgecrest. To me there is just nothing like the smell of rain. The wet creosote and sage. I don't even know how to describe it. Anyway, it was so nice. The rain cooled the valley down about 30 degrees to a comfortable 75 degrees in less than two hours. That night it rained again (I'm not sure how long because I fell asleep while it was still raining, but I think it rained for quite a while). This morning was great. It was still cloudy, so it was gray outside, and everything was damp and so quiet. The desert just seems full of color after the rain washes the dirt off. Oh, and it was cool. Most mornings lately it's almost 100 by 9 am, and on the way to church it wasn't even 80.


At the BBQ last night, the kids ran and danced in the rain. I forgot my camera and coulda kicked myself. Here is a picture from one friend's blog but I am going to get the pics from all our friends who had cameras and load some of the best. Here are some cute stories from last night.
(Besides Joey, I'm just using initials of our friends and their kids)
~Joey's pants got so heavy that they started falling off her bum. I kept telling her to pull her pants back up, and even did it a few times to make sure they stayed up. (The picture is Joey pulling her pants up) Well one time she comes over asking for help. I looked back at her and her pants had finally got so heavy that they had fallen off. I think that's about when we took the kids inside to dry off.
~N would pick up everything to start brushing her hair. Several times we took watermelon rinds from her that she was using as a brush. Once she had a piece of wood that she was using and I was about to take it from her when she goes, it's not a brush this time, it's a phone. She then held this long conversation with whom ever she thought was on the other end of the line.
~N and E would run around in circles in this puddle. Several times they crashed into each other and fell on the ground. It never seemed to phase them. I think they were on a high from the rain.
~A found it fun to just stand there and try to catch raindrops in her mouth.
~Last night we found out that Diet Pepsi has an experation date. And that if you drink expired Pepsi, it's nasty. Ty had one that he made me taste to make sure he wasn't going crazy. It was like there was no more syurp in there. R had one later and she said the same thing. I think it put her off diet sodas forever since she doesn't especially like them to start with.

1 comment:

  1. I was so excited about the pictures that I almost forgot those funny little things. P.S. I think I fixed by blog so you can see all of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete