Sunday, July 20, 2008

When it rains it pours...






Blessings come in may forms. As you guys may know, so. cal is in a major drought. Our desert is in a huge one! People around here regularly pray for rain. I think it's time to tweak the blessing a little bit, so that the rain comes slower than it did today. We woke up from our Sunday afternoon nap around 3:30, apparently just in time for the second wave of thunderstorms to hit. By about 5 it had dumped over on inch of rain, probably close to an in and a half. The real problem for us is when you realize that three sides of our yard are concrete, and the fourth side is higher. So everyones water from the block, ran into our back yard. I really started panicking when the water started coming over our back porch. It was within and inch, inch and a half of starting to flood our house. My parents finally come over, and my brilliant dad finds the only way to drain the water. It was an amazing site to watch the water drain. All in all, we had about 5 inches of water in our back yard.
So what blessings did we have, well, obviously the rain. But I'm really grateful for my dad's thinking outside of the box to ensure the saftey of our house. And I'm really grateful that they were willing to come over because I know my mom was busy making sure everyone else in the ward is safe since she's relief society president. We also liked the rain because it washed our cars. That was nice. And it lessened the pollen count in the air, so hopefully my allergies will ease.

BTW-- in case you didn't notice, the pictures are of our backyard over the course of the rain showing how much it started flooding and the last one we took shortly after we started draining it, so the water is a little lower off the porch than it was when it was at it's peak, but you get the idea.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun place to play. Ok, other than the whole flooding thing. Glad your home is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! I thouht of you as we drove through California last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you had a pool in your backyard! Ha! Ha! I'm glad you have a smart dad.

    ReplyDelete