Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lazy Weekend

We had a fairly lazy weekend for the fourth this year. We didn't even buy fireworks due to the fact that Joey is terrified of them this year. On the third I lit a few sparklers, and Joey ran in the house crying and screaming "I scared. Stop please." She was ok watching the fireworks from a safe distance as long as there were no loud noises. If there were noises, she would just hide behind Ty.

So to start off our Fourth, we woke at 5:30 because Ty had to be at the meeting house to set up chairs for the flag raising ceremony they do every year. Joey and I went to it and Ty went back to sleep. It was a good ceremony and the speaker said something there that really had me pondering. We live here in a town where scores of engineers, physicists, computer science majors, and such build bombs and missiles. The guy who talked said how fortunate we are to live in a town that has many people in the armed forces, but has many more doing everything they can to keep those in the armed forces safe and armed so they can do their duty. I had never thought of it that way. It makes me appreciate them more. After that we stayed inside for several hours due to the extreme heat here (it was like 110+ that day). We had an annual BBQ at a friends house that included swimming for an hour. I was assigned to bring my Spiced Peach Jello Salad. Ty also asked me to bring my Fiesta Black Bean Salad since he doesn't especially like jello salad. One of the people at the BBQ told me I was a salad wizard. I still am not sure if he meant it or if he was just saying that. I like to think he meant it and liked my salads. (Let me know if you would like the recipes.) Later that evening we went to my sisters to watch the big firework display the city had because she lives like .5 of a mile away, so it's not sooo crowded, but still good seats. Joey occasionally would watch, but mostly just hid. They had some cool fireworks. Some were shaped like a cube. It was a really good show. For the first time they had it programmed on a computer instead of having Pyro's going and lighting them individually. It doesn't make sense to me that it took us so long to get to this point. Especially due to the fact that our town is full of computer geeks. Oh well.

Sunday was my dad's b-day. We went and had a nice family dinner at my parents with my sister and her family as well. The food was good. My poor mom though melted the knobs on her bbq though and will likely have to just replace it, but it's been a good bbq that's lasted like 10-15 years. As we were getting ready to leave for the night Joey and her cousin Rissy were out riding a little bike together. I'm going to have to get the pictures from my mom and post them up here. It was so cute watching the two girls together.

So that was our lazy weekend. It was nice just relaxing at home and hanging with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment